Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mary's One-Pot Luck Recipes--How I got started

Ever since I hiked 800 miles on the Appalachian Trail (AT) back in 2004, I have been stuck on one-pot meals. They are real easy to make and you don't have too much to clean up, which I believe is the BEST part of the one-pot meal.

When I hiked on the AT, everything that went into the pot was freeze dried, packaged or Pasta. And, I ate directly from the pot! So, Cleanup was simple...a pot and a spoon!

So, now when I go car camping, I take cans or packages of stuff from my pantry...a good way to use up whatever I have stocked up:

Beef or chicken broth and/or stock, cans of chicken, cans of beans (refried, black, white)

I also take along my oils: olive, walnut, sesame, lemon-olive;

My spices: cayenne pepper, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, wheat-free, reduced salt Tamari, Sea Salt

My Pasta and rice: Thai Rice noodles, boil-in-bag brown rice

And I always take: fresh onions, carrots, garlic and sweet potatoes

I should note that all of my canned or packaged items are low or no salt and organic, when possible.

For my heat source, I use my wonderful Jet Boil. This was the single most amazing purchase I ever made for backpacking and car camping!! www.Jetboil.com

No comments:

Post a Comment